Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Bugs who ate the Yankees

I've heard of sacrifice flies before, but this was ridiculous.  Then Yankees were leading 1-0 in the 8th inning when their super set-up man Joba Chamberlain (ERA 0.38) was swarmed by what the announcer called Canadian soldiers.  I can't imagine trying to pitch in a pressure situation with bugs crawling all over your face and neck, but there he was on national TV.  Sure enough, he threw a wild pitch to tie the game, and the Indians went on to win in the 11th inning.  Who is the Indians groundskeeper, anyway?  Alfred Hitchcock?

BTW, these were the prices of the stocks when I recommended them a few days back.

FDPIX 31.34, CEF 9.87, SLW 14.34, SVMFF 20.49, GGCRF 3.50, MVG 14.00, SLVXF 1.06, ESPZF 2.30

So now you can keep score with my recommendations, and a year from now tell me what an idiot I am.  Of course if you take my advice and actually buy any of those stocks, I have to wonder who's dumb enough to follow the financial advice of some bitter ex-controller who spends most of his time ranting about baseball.

BTW, all of those stocks are Canadian companies, which is why most of them trade here on the pink sheets.  I did not intentionally plan that, but every time I found a resource company worthy of investment, it was invariably based in Canada.  Turns out two-thirds of all the degrees in geology are earned in Canada, which may have something to do with that.

But it all works out for the best, because when I started investing my retirement funds in these stocks (thanks FAA for firing me, and allowing me to finally get my hands on that money) the Canadian dollar was worth 80-85 cents.  A couple of years ago, I predicted that when our beloved president George F. Bush left office, the Canadian dollar would be worth more than ours.  As I write this, with more than a year to spare, the loonie is worth $1.02.  You gotta love the job George F. Bush has done on our economy.  Now Canadian stocks are worth 20% more just because they're in Canada.  So I guess it's OK if they send us a few flies to disrupt a baseball game.

 

No comments: