Friday, May 2, 2008

The worst day in retirement

The worst day in retirement is still WAY better than the best day at work.  I have just passed the first anniversary of my retirement.  One full year of not having to brief pilots who don't know what they're flying, or where they are, or where they want to go, and don't know how long it will take them to get there...but they want a standard weather briefing.

I admire people who derive satisfaction from their job, and find their work too challenging to quit.  Especially those guys who say they can't conceive of themselves being retired, because they wouldn't know what to do with themselves.  I salute all of you, because if everyone retired like me, the whole country would grind to a halt.

Another good reason to retire came last week (April 21, to be exact) when Lockheed Martin held a pilot's meeting at Oakland Airport to promote the abortion they call FS21.  Of course I didn't go to the meeting; since I retired my BS tolerance isn't what it used to be.

They had room for well over a hundred people, but a grand total of 13 pilots showed up.  There were 19 people there in total, but 5 of those were from OAK AFSS, and 1 was a non-combatant (the spouse of a pilot.)  From what I have been told it was a complete waste of time...the oily LM/former FAA guy who hasn't worked at a station in 20 years trying to convince everyone things are getting better.  He would probably have had a better chance of selling the Golden Gate Bridge, but that's just me being cynical again.

No comments: